Sunday, December 19, 2010

Canned and Pickled Everything

The person who gave me the copy I have of the 1948 Joy of Cooking and a cast-iron skillet came to my house for lunch. It had to be one heck of a thank-you lunch. The 1948 freaking Joy of Cooking, for goodness sake! (I edited that sentence...)
So we had soup, yes, one of my favourite soups made with favourite Indian pickle, but as this person is a pickler too, I got out everything I'd canned all summer (everything that was left) for him to try. This included (from left to to right):

1. Pears and persimmons in syrup with cloves and cinnamon.
2. Fig jam
3. Pickled jalapenos with coriander and black pepper seeds
4. Pickled Carrots in the same
5. Indian jalapeno pickle with a million spices
6. Fermented sriracha sauce
7. Ginger Confit

and I topped the soup with pickled peppers

The other jars, containers, and bags in the photo are 2 local honeys (one creamy and one liquid), natto (fermented soy beans), and matcha daifuku (green tea-flavoured rice flour pastries filled with sweet red bean paste). It was overkill, but I kind of love people with tastebuds trying a million different interesting flavours in my kitchen.

Mostly I just wanted to post this picture because it's ridiculous. For a newbie, I've canned a lot of stuff, and not died. Hurray?

0 comments: