Thursday, March 11, 2010

I feel like I should have mopped the kitchen floor...

Today I'm going to fling noodles. Odds are it's going to be a disaster. That's why I made two balls of dough. One has a bit more water-egg combination, and the other is a bit dryer. One I kneaded by hand, one I did in my pasta maker. They are currently sitting on my kitchen counter, waiting. Probably they see my kitchen floor out of the corner of their eyes (it is not gnocchi, it is not potato, they do not have eyes, I remind myself) and think that it's an awfully long way down.

There is actually no recipe for this. In "Beyond the Great Wall", the authors state that try as they might, they have never successfully re-created "Flung Noodles", like they've seen flung by Uighurs (pronounced "Way-gurs") in China. There is, however, a picture of someone successfully doing it, and a description of how, in theory, it should be done. I am using a Kazach stretched noodle recipe, like the book says may work. I'm using Première Moisson flour and I have hope that this may help, simply because it's a very good bread flour. Première Moisson dough makes incredible loaves of perfect bread. Lets ignore the yeast for a second. Suspend belief. Already my chances seem better, my hopes are lifted, and I feel okay about still not having mopped the floor. If those noodles go down, they're staying down. There will be no 5 second rule.

20 minutes left to wait...

0 comments: