Saturday, October 23, 2010

Rooibos Chai Tea

This is my second Ochado tea. They're from the Marché Fermier that's currently closed, but you can order online. Chai is an easy thing to make since it's just a blend of whole spices, all of which I already have, but this is a rooibos chai, and I don't exactly have the right trees lying around to make that for myself. I do have better rooibos tea that I could infuse with my own spices, so I'll get around to that one day, but this version from Ochado is very nice and there's no way I'm going to be drying my own orange peel anytime soon. Besides, their spice balance is very good. That's what you pay for. It also came with a recipe. I've made it twice so far and my only adjustment is taking down the amount of honey slightly, but not too much as I took out too much the second time and it was too watery and bland.
For 1 person:
1 tsp of Rooibos Chai tea (or other chai. Rooibos is caffeine-free, and usually chai is made from black tea, so just a heads-up)
1 cup filtered water
2 tsp to 1 tbsp honey
1 cup milk (I used almond milk, which was lovely)

Bring the water to a boil, add the tea and honey and reduce the heat to medium to let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the milk, bring back to a boil, and remove from heat. Strain into a mug and enjoy.

You could also put the tea in a tea infuser and boil it that way. Saves you the trouble of straining after, but it's really not much trouble at all unless you're quadrupling the recipe and serving it to pretentious friends who think a strainer is out of place in tea service. My recommendation? Keep the strainer, lose the friends.




0 comments: