Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tomato Relish: This has Nothing To Do With A Hotdog Condiment...

This is the same recipe I made for my brother's big Indian dinner with friends in Toronto a few months back, except I skipped the onion (I hate raw onion), cut down on the salt (just a 1/2 tsp since my tomatoes were so amazing as they were), used parsley instead of cilantro (cilantro was nowhere to be found - well, good quality - at the market when I went, and I already had just enough parsley chopped), and I just squeezed a half a lemon over everything instead of bothering with measuring 2 tbsp. It was great.

If you make this recipe for the first time, follow the recipe and the proportions so you know what it's SUPPOSED to taste like. Madhur Jaffrey does not make Indian cookbooks so amateur at-home cooks like me can go thinking they know better than her. Trust me, she's always right, and I'm sometimes right (I couldn't say I'm always wrong, because then you trust me when I say she's always right. The upside of all this is that I'm not always wrong. Hurray!).
Chop the tomatoes. Add everything else. Done.

I suppose you could use this on a hotdog, but...well, it would be a bit wrong. Heinz would be no competition for the tomatoes I used. Jab left, cross right, etc.

0 comments: