Friday, June 25, 2010

Gluten-Free Bread, Take 2

Compared to my last loaf of gluten-free bread, this one looks a little nicer, but it didn't have that banana bread crust on top, you know, the cracked roof, that's a sign that it's perfect. This one was a bit denser since it didn't rise quite as much, I was still pretty happy with the result.

I used the same recipe except for two major differences:

1. I used a different Gluten-Free Flour blend, and
2. I soaked the All Bran Buds in the water, vinegar, oil and yogurt mixture instead of soaking it separately and only adding it at the last minute.

My gluten-free flour blend recipe was this:
2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 tsp guar gum

I don't know if that is what made the biggest difference or if it was change #2. Definitely change #2 made a large difference all by itself, though. I know this because I mixed the liquid ingredients all together in a blender to save myself from wasting a bowl to whisk. Right after I'd blended them the mixture was very liquidy. Then I went about combining the dry ingredients - the salt, flour, yeast, and sugar. When I was ready to add the wet ingredients they had become a lot less liquid. The buds had absorbed a lot of the water and other ingredients so it had become a lot thicker. I should have known this because it does the same to my yogurt in the morning.
So when I mixed the dry and liquid ingredients the dough was a lot more solid than it had been the time before. I did everything else in the recipe the same. I covered it with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place. Except it didn't want to rise very much, even though I left it for an extra long period of time.

After the first rising period I transferred the dough directly to the pan to let it rise again. This was instead of letting it rise on another surface and then risk losing height when I transferred the dough to the pan. I even covered it loosely so the dough wouldn't be bound by the plastic, but no, it didn't want to rise very much at all.

All in all, it certainly was still fine. I love that I have fresh home-made gluten-free bread that doesn't taste too much like rice. I just wish it got big and fluffy and a bit lighter.

Well, next time. I'll try to remember to add the All Bran Buds at the last minute. Or one of these times I could just buy psyllium powder. Would the same thing happen?

0 comments: